What steps are needed to plan the budget?
About Lesson

Planning the budget is one of the scariest parts of writing a proposal. It may seem difficult, but it’s not that bad, you just need clear steps and to understand the rules of the programme. Here are the steps you need to take to prepare a budget.

  1. Identifying eligible costs:

 Find out about the different categories of costs eligible under Erasmus+, including travel, subsistence, organisational support and special needs grants. Make sure your budget is in line with these categories. For example, in the case of youth exchanges (based on the 2023 Guidelines):

 

  • Organisational support: between the sending/host/coordinating organisation. Some examples of the activities covered by this budget line:
    • Preparatory meetings: costs related to the organisation of meetings or training sessions to prepare participants and managers prior to the
    • Evaluation and monitoring: costs associated with evaluating the impact and results of the project, including post-exchange
    • Administrative costs: administrative costs of organising and coordinating the Youth Exchange
  • Travel: depends on the distance, which you can calculate on this website https://erasmus-plus.ec.europa.eu/resources-and-tools/distance-calculator.

To calculate the distance, use the location of the organisation as it appears on the application form.

  • Consider and agree with your partners what you will do if the cost of the trip is less than the budget
  • Decide who will buy the tickets, how you will prevent people from withdrawing after buying them, and what to do if you run into
  • Determine what documents you will need to reimburse Keep a copy of each document in case you need it in the future.
  • Individual It depends on the host country, and here are some examples of what you can cover from this budget line:
    • Accommodation: accommodation costs for

 

  • Meals: daily allowances or meal costs for
  • Local transport: the cost of transport within the destination country during the
  • Facilitator fees: fees for facilitators involved in organising and leading the activities during the youth
  • Cultural activities: costs related to the organisation of cultural activities and excursions for participants to get to know and understand the host
  • Materials: the costs of materials, supplies or equipment needed to carry out the activities of the youth
  • Integration support. In this case, a distinction should be made between:
  • 100 € per participant for the organisation (you only need to specify how many participants with fewer opportunities will participate).
  • 100% of eligible costs (for example, adapted materials or communication support). Make sure you plan this from the start and collect all invoices and documents to justify the
  • Preparatory visit grant: you will receive a unit cost for travel and per diem, participants from the host organisation are not included, so the budget line “organisational support” should be used for their participation
  • Extraordinary expenses: this heading covers the cost of visas and visa-related expenses, residence permits, vaccinations, medical certificates, , as well as costly travel or financial guarantees. In the latter cases, the programme will cover only 80% of the costs, so decide how you will cover the remaining 20%. Also, remember to write an estimate on the application form and collect all the related documents and invoices.

Idea: Prepare a draft budget for a 6-day youth exchange in your country, for a total of 25 participants from 5 countries (you can choose the countries yourself), using the lump sums provided in the Erasmus+ Guide. Then calculate the total real costs that would apply to such a group. Last but not least, compare the budgets. Everything OK? Great! If you’re short of money, brainstorm where you can get additional funding for your project.